Friday, December 30, 2005

My Mum in Mayapur



A week ago I wrote the following text to my mother describing this blog site:

===============
This is just a start. I intend to add regular articles. Exciting expose coming soon: "Our Abused Childhood and the Unspeakable Things Mum did to us"

Your wicked son, Mark
PS: I forgot about your curlers photo in Bangalore! -- Posting soon.
===============

My mother and I have a very close relationship, and to be honest she didn't actually do unspeakable things to us in our childhood. (Well, ... not too many things) I just spoke that way, to help keep her on her toes. Also, no one need fear. Out of concern for all of you, I won't post the curlers photo. I don't want to risk putting any of our readers into shock.

She wrote back to me the following humble comments:

===========
I liked the photo of you and your Mum best. She looks like a very
intelligent, beautiful woman. You are so lucky to have her for a Mum.
===========

Actually, she is right -- I am lucky to have such an intelligent and beautiful lady for a mother. (I should have posted this before she did her Christmas shopping) The poor lady has been traumatized by all of the years of having a son in the Hare Krishna movement.

The above photos are from her visit to India last year. The top one is her at the Mayapur Goshala terrorizing the cows. The bottom one was taken in Katwa West Bengal. She is sitting in the car patiently waiting while her son was doing some research at the temple marking the place where Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu took sannyasa. As you can see from the picture, she made friends with some of the local ladies.

No comments: